Mazzoni Cristina 2018
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND POSITIONS
1989 University of Rome “La Sapienza” Laurea in Biological Science cum laude
1990 University of Rome “La Sapienza” Laboratory training
1991 University of Rome “La Sapienza” Qualification to the profession of Biologist
1994 University of Rome “La Sapienza” PhD in Evolutionary Biology
1994 Prize for the best PhD thesis from the Italian Society of General Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology
1989-1990 Menarini Ricerche sud Consulting activity on heterologous protein production using the yeast K. lactis
1991-1993: Fellowship by Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, CEA
1994-1997: Fellowship by Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti Italy, Univ. “Sapienza”, Rome, IT
1997 : Research contract of CE within the project “Yeast as a Cell Factory” Univ. “Sapienza”, Rome, IT
1997-1999 : Post-doctoral felloship Univ. “Sapienza” Rome, IT
2000-2001: Research contract Univ. “Sapienza” Rome, IT
2001: Permanent position as researcher, Univ. “Sapienza” Rome, IT
2003-2006 Collaboration with SIGMA tau on yeast physiological studies
2007 Menarini Ricerche sud Consulting activity on heterologous protein production using yeast P. pastoris - Course on yeast genetics and molecular biology – Expression of recombinant proteins
May 2010: Winner of notice of open competition for Associated Professor, University “Bicocca”of Milan, IT
December 2012: Permanent position as Associated Professor, Univ. “Sapienza” Rome, IT
2012-2013: Lead Guest Editor of the international scientific journal “Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity”
2013 - : Associated Editor of the international scientific journal Microbial Cell
2014 - : Associated Editor of the international scientific journal FEMS Yeast Research
2017: Guest Editor of the international scientific journal “Frontiers in Oncology” for the research topic “Cell Stress, Metabolic Reprogramming and Cancer”
Prof. Mazzoni carried out her research mainly at the Department of Biology and Biotechnology “C. Darwin”, Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, University of Rome "Sapienza", and for two years at the CEA (Commissariat to the Energy Atomique) Service de Biochimie et de Génétique Moléculaire Saclay, France.
The scientific training of Dr. Mazzoni allowed her to acquire a wide experience in genetic, molecular and biochemical methods to study the properties of both conventional and non conventional yeasts of biotechnological interest. She has numerous publications in international journals and reports at national and international conferences.
The scientific activity can be summarized in the following main topics:
1. Study of physiology and metabolism of the unconventional yeast Kluyveromyces lactis
2. Isolation of promoters regulated by carbon source, their molecular characterization and biotechnological applications
3. Study of cell cycle, morphogenesis and signal transduction in the yeast S. cerevisiae
4. European project of sequencing and functional analysis of the genome of the yeast S. cerevisiae
5. Use of yeast as a model for the study of apoptosis and aging
6. Correlation between mRNA degradation and cell proliferation
7. Biotechnological applications of pro and anti-apoptotic mutants
8. Use of yeast for the study of human proteins.
Prof. Mazzoni is a member of the Italian Society of General Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology (SIMGBM) and Associazione di Biologia Cellulare e del Differenziamento (ABCD).
In September 2011 she was one of the organizers of the scientific conference "Yeast, an evergreen model" hels in Rome.
In September 2012 was the principal organizer of the International Conference 9th International Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis held in Rome.
In September 2015 was one of the organizers of the 27° International conference on yeast genetics and molecular biology held in Levico (TN).
In February 2017 was one of the organizers of the ZOMES IX conference (PCI complewes and ubiquitin defining a hub for protein homeostasis) held in Rome.
In May 2017 was one of the organizers of the International Conference 9th International Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis held in Bari.
Cristina Mazzoni imparted teachings of General Microbiology, Fermentation Chemistry as part of the course in Agro-industrial Biotechnology and, in the Master of Science in Industrial biotechnology and agro-food, Microbial biotechnology. Currently she imparts teaching of Biotechnology Fermentation within the course in Agro-industrial Biotechnology, and Food Microbial Biotechnology in the Master of Science in Food Science and Technologies
She, held a General Biology course within the master degree in Forensic analytical methodology.
In 2016-2018 participated as professor in the PLS project, devoted to the formation of high school science teachers in Recombinant Biotechology.
Scientific publications from 2010
- Guaragnella N, Stirpe M, Burhans W, Côrte-Real M, Gourlay C, Ludovico P, Madeo F, Petranovic D, Winderickx J, Mazzoni C, Giannattasio S. New perspectives from South-Y-East, not all about death. A report of the 12th lnternational Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis in Bari, Italy, May 14th-18th, 2017. Microb Cell. 2018 Jan 16;5(2):112-115. doi: 10.15698/mic2018.02.616.
- Carmona-Gutierrez D, Bauer MA, Zimmermann A, Aguilera A, Austriaco N, Ayscough K, Balzan R, Bar-Nun S, Barrientos A, Belenky P, Blondel M, Braun RJ, Breitenbach M, Burhans WC, Büttner S, Cavalieri D, Chang M, Cooper KF, Côrte-Real M, Costa V, Cullin C, Dawes I, Dengjel J, Dickman MB, Eisenberg T, Fahrenkrog B, Fasel N, Fröhlich KU, Gargouri A, Giannattasio S, Goffrini P, Gourlay CW, Grant CM, Greenwood MT, Guaragnella N, Heger T, Heinisch J, Herker E, Herrmann JM, Hofer S, Jiménez-Ruiz A, Jungwirth H, Kainz K, Kontoyiannis DP, Ludovico P, Manon S, Martegani E, Mazzoni C, Megeney LA, Meisinger C, Nielsen J, Nyström T, Osiewacz HD, Outeiro TF, Park HO, Pendl T, Petranovic D, Picot S, Polčic P, Powers T, Ramsdale M, Rinnerthaler M, Rockenfeller P, Ruckenstuhl C, Schaffrath R, Segovia M, Severin FF, Sharon A, Sigrist SJ, Sommer-Ruck C, Sousa MJ, Thevelein JM, Thevissen K, Titorenko V, Toledano MB, Tuite M, Vögtle FN, Westermann B, Winderickx J, Wissing S, Wölfl S, Zhang ZJ, Zhao RY, Zhou B, Galluzzi L, Kroemer G, Madeo F. Guidelines and recommendations on yeast cell death nomenclature. Microb Cell. 2018 Jan 1;5(1):4-31. doi: 10.15698/mic2018.01.607. Review.
- Tomassetti MC, Cirigliano A, Arrighi C, Negri R, Mura F, Maneschi ML, Gentili MD, Stirpe M, Mazzoni C, Rinaldi T. A role for microbial selection in frescoes' deterioration in Tomba degli Scudi in Tarquinia, Italy. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 20;7(1):6027. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-06169-0.
- Stirpe M, Palermo V, Bianchi MM, Silvestri R, Falcone C, Tenore G, Novellino E, Mazzoni C. Annurca apple (M. pumila Miller cv Annurca) extracts act against stress and ageing in S. cerevisiae yeast cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Apr 5;17(1):200. doi: 10.1186/s12906-017-1666-7.
- Stirpe M, Palermo V, Ferrari M, Mroczek S, Kufel J, Falcone C, Mazzoni C.
Increased levels of RNA oxidation enhance the reversion frequency in aging pro-apoptotic yeast mutants. Apoptosis. 2017 Feb;22(2):200-206. doi: 10.1007/s10495-016-1319-1. PMID: 27803986
- Falcone C, Mazzoni C. External and internal triggers of cell death in yeast. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016 Jun;73(11-12):2237-50. doi: 10.1007/s00018-016-2197-y.
- Palermo V, Stirpe M, Torella M, Falcone C, Mazzoni C. NEM1 acts as a suppressor of apoptotic phenotypes in LSM4 yeast mutants.FEMS Yeast Res. 2015 Nov;15(7). pii: fov074. doi: 10.1093/femsyr/fov074. Epub 2015 Aug 26.
- Guaragnella N, Palermo V, Galli A, Moro L, Mazzoni C, Giannattasio S.
The expanding role of yeast in cancer research and diagnosis: insights into the function of the oncosuppressors p53 and BRCA1/2.
FEMS Yeast Res. 2014 Feb;14(1):2-16. doi: 10.1111/1567-1364.12094.
- Mazzoni C, Giannattasio S, Winderickx J, Ludovico P.
Yeast stress, aging, and death. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:684395. doi: 10.1155/2013/684395. Epub 2013 Dec 2. No abstract available.
- Palermo V, Mangiapelo E, Piloto C, Pieri L, Muscolini M, Tuosto L, Mazzoni C. p53 death signal is mainly mediated by Nuc1(EndoG) in the yeast S. cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2013 Jul 23. doi: 10.1111/1567-1364.12067. [Epub ahead of print]
- Guaragnella N, Palermo V, Burhans WC, Gourlay CW, Ludovico P, Madeo F, Giannattasio S, Mazzoni C. Yeast between life and death: a summary of the Ninth International Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis in Rome, Italy, 17-20 September 2012. Cell Death Differ. 2013 Sep;20(9):1281-3. doi: 10.1038/cdd.2013.71. Epub 2013 Jun 28.
- Mazzoni C, Mangiapelo E, Palermo V, Falcone C. Hypothesis: is yeast a clock model to study the onset of humans aging phenotypes? Front Oncol. 2012;2:203. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2012.00203. Epub 2012 Dec 31
- Palermo V, Mattivi F, Silvestri R, La Regina G, Falcone C, Mazzoni C. Apple can act as anti-aging on yeast cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:491759. Epub 2012 Aug 30.
- Mazzoni C, Falcone C. The importance of mitochondrial fusion in aging. Cell Cycle. 2011 Nov 1;10(21):3631. Epub 2011 Nov 1
- Muscolini M, Montagni E, Palermo V, Di Agostino S, Gu W, Abdelmoula-Soussi S, Mazzoni C, Blandino G, Tuosto L. The cancer-associated K351N mutation affects the ubiquitination and the translocation to mitochondria of p53 protein. J Biol Chem. 2011 Nov 18;286(46):39693-702. Epub 2011 Sep 27.
- Mazzoni C, Falcone C mRNA stability and control of cell proliferation Biochem Soc Trans. 2011 Oct 1;39(5):1461-5.
- Palermo V, Pieri L, Silvestri R, La Regina G, Falcone C, Mazzoni C.
Drug-induced inhibition of tubulin polymerization induces mitochondrion-mediated apoptosis in yeast. Cell Cycle. 2011 Sep 15;10(18). [Epub ahead of print]
- Carmona-Gutierrez D, Ruckenstuhl C, Bauer MA, Netzberger C, Eisenberg T, Braun RJ, Rockenfeller P, Khoury CM, Moitzi B, Sommer C, Ring J, Schroeder S, Habernig L, Mazzoni C, Winderickx J, Gourlay CW, Madeo F. A new Canterbury tale: the eighth International Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis in Canterbury, UK, 2-6 May 2011. Cell Death Differ. 2011 Sep 2. doi: 10.1038/cdd.2011.115..
- Palermo V, Silvestri R, La Regina G, Falcone C, Mazzoni C S. cerevisiae as a model for the study of new therapeutic molecules JOURNAL OF BIOTECHNOLOGY, 150: S412-S412 Suppl. 1 NOV 2010 ISSN: 0168-1656
- Palermo V, Cundari E, Mangiapelo E, Falcone C, Mazzoni C Yeast lsm pro-apoptotic mutants show defects in S-phase entry and progression. Cell Cycle. 2010 Oct 1;9(19): 3991 - 3996
- Mazzoni C Fat: love it to death! Cell Cycle. 2010 Aug 15;9(16):3149. Epub 2010 Aug 15
- Palermo V, Falcone C, Calvani M, Mazzoni C Acetyl-L-carnitine protects yeast cells from apoptosis and aging and inhibits mitochondrial fission. Aging Cell. 2010 Aug;9(4):570-9. Epub 2010 Jun 9
- Reina S, Palermo V, Guarnera A, Guarino F, Messina A, Mazzoni C, De Pinto V.
Swapping of the N-terminus of VDAC1 with VDAC3 restores full activity of the channel and confers anti-aging features to the cell FEBS Letters, 2010 Jul 2;584(13):2837-44. Epub 2010 Apr 29.
- De Pinto V, Guarino F, Guarnera A, Messina A, Reina S, Flora, Tomasello FM, Palermo V, Mazzoni C. Characterization of human VDAC isoforms: a peculiar function for VDAC3?
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta BBA – Bioenergetics, 2010, June - July;1797(6-7):1268-1275. Epub 2010 Feb 6.